The Back & Hip Program is one of Yoga Mandir’s Specialist programs. The specialist programs are developed to assist students with specific needs to develop greater confidence in their practice and to equip them with techniques and modifications such that participation within the practitioner Yogasana courses and Led practice programs is possible.
The Specialist-Back & Hip Program of Yoga Mandir Institute is comprised of 3 parts:
- The Specialist-Back & Hip workshop: attendance at which prepares a practitioners to manage their own practice by gauging and modifying their asanas for optimum health.
- Online study resources: a range of student study resources has been developed to support the program. Students access the study resources through Yoga Vidya (Yoga Mandir’s online study platform) and are required to review the audio visual material and complete the assignments prior to attending the workshop.
- The Back & Hip health practice: a practice developed to respond to mobilise, strengthen and alleviate non-specific symptoms experienced by students
The Specialist-Back & Hip Program is underpinned by the Yama’s and Niyamas – the first two disciplines of Astanga Yoga. These disciplines form the basis for ethical practice.
The Specialist-Back & Hip Program will be conducted as a weekend workshop incorporating 5 sessions (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) and is structured across the groups of asana- for example standing poses, seated poses, forward bends, twists, inversions and backbends. Each session will focus on a group and explore the modifications and use of props and supports.
Key elements to the program include
- Practice that develops discernment. Differentiating experience
- Understanding the relationship between thought and pain
- Cultivation of dispassion and clarity in observation
- Developing feedback systems that assist student to gauge their limits
- The application of Iyengar methodology in working with injuries
- Developing a range of practice modifications so that students work to their own capacity.
The program is open to all students with experience of Iyengar Yoga.
Eligibility: The program is open to Yoga students with experience of Iyengar Yoga
Dates: 20-22 July 2018
Session Times: Students attend all sessions
- Friday 6:00–8:30pm
- Saturday 7:00–9:15am & 2:00–4:00pm
- Sunday 7:30–10:30am & 2:00–4:00pm