The Knee program is one of the specialist programs within the institute. The specialist programs are developed to assist students with specific needs to develop greater confidence in their practice and to equip them with techniques and modifications such that participation within the practitioner Yogasana courses and Led practice programs is possible.
Yoga Mandir's Specialist-Knee program is comprised of 3 parts:
- The Specialist-Knee workshop: attendance at which prepares a practitioners to manage their own practice by gauging and modifying their asanas for optimum health.
- Online study resources: a range of student study resources has been developed to support the program. Students access the study resources through Yoga Vidya (Yoga Mandir’s online study platform) and are required to view the audio visual material and complete the assignments prior to attending the workshop.
- The Knee health practice: a practice sequence developed to mobilise, strengthen and alleviate non-specific knee symptoms commonly experienced by students.
The Specialist-Knee program is underpinned by the Yama’s and Niyamas – the first two disciplines of Astanga Yoga. These disciplines form the basis for ethical practice.
The Specialist knee program is conducted as a weekend workshop incorporating 4 sessions (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) and is structured across the groups of asana- for example standing poses, seated poses, forward bends, twists, inversions and backbends. Each session will focus on a group and explore the modifications and use of props and supports.
Key elements to the program include
- Developing discernment and differentiating experience in practice;
- Understanding the relationship between thought and pain;
- Cultivation of dispassion and clarity in observation;
- Developing feedback systems to gage limits;
- The application of Iyengar methodology in working with injuries; and
- Developing a range of practice modifications so that students work to their own capacity.
Eligibility: The program is open to Yoga students with experience of Iyengar Yoga
Dates: 23-25 August 2019.
Sessions: Students attend all sessions
- Friday 6.00-8.30pm.
- Saturday 11.15-2.15pm.
- Sunday 9.00-11.30am & 3.30-5.30pm