This program is designed to support a group of teachers within a school to develop a school culture that can both reflect and value teacher autonomy, which is essential for authenticity, and also value the development of a cohesive voice on the subject of Yoga, across the teaching body.
The school culture program is focused around term study units. Each unit can be covered in 3 months and the full program covered in 2 years
The program is made up of 10 Units
Unit 1. Abhyasa/Vairagya
Unit 2. Kosas
Unit 3. Karmendriyas/ Jnanendriyas
Unit 4. Astanga Yoga
Unit 5. Kriyayoga, obstacles
Unit 6. Citta, Samskaras
Unit 7. Klesas/ Vrttis
Unit 8. Memory, evolution/ involution, Gunas
Unit 9. Pranayama. This module conducted concurrently with all other units.
Unit 10. Yoga Mandir Syllabus 2012. Includes teacher resources, term plans, study notes
The school culture program is provided for schools wishing to develop a syllabus across a number of levels. It is focused primarily on teacher study groups and requires a weekly 3 hour study session where the teachers meet together to
- Practice to one audio class recording (90 minutes) as a group. These class recordings are specific to the module content being studied
- Review the content of the audio recording
- Review the syllabus (2007-2011 provided). Consider levels of student and asana/ philosophy content
- Consider the application of methods (technique, timings sequence and repetition) to achieve an experience of Yogasana.
- Develop 4 term plans by the end of each term. One plan for each level from beginner through to level 3.
- Review school structure to consider led practices conducted by student leaders
Additionally, teachers are required to attend the ongoing professional development program conducted by Alan Goode in Yoga Mandir, Canberra. Each individual teacher should attend 4 Professional development weeks (7 day attendance) within the study period to develop an intimate understanding of the subjects covered in the modules of the study program and to closely observe the development of a student body. Costed separately
Each unit contains
- Resources. For teacher study. These include articles and audio visual presentations.
- Readings. May be read to a student body as quotes
- Audio class recordings for practice and review. The audio recordings are of classes by Alan Goode recorded at Yoga Mandir in Canberra.
- Class sequences of the audio class recordings
- Samples of class records
Teacher study group
The basis of the School culture program is the development of a weekly teacher study group. This collegial exchange is central to build a collective understanding essential to cohesion across teachers and across levels within the school. A weekly teacher meeting of 3 hours to
- Practice to one audio recording as a group
- Review the content of the audio recording
- Consider the application of methods (technique, timings sequence and repetition) to achieve an experience of Yogasana. This component is contained within a separate package
- Consider issues in the School Review below
- Practice of one 45 minute Pranayama audio recording each week to consolidate Pranayama practice. This component may be practiced separately to the teachers study group with a monthly report by individuals.
Individual teachers to practice to one audio recording a second time in the week along with the readings and resources available.
School structure review
In addition to the Teacher study group you should devise a School review plan to include
- Review the syllabus (2011 provided). Consider levels of student and asana/ philosophy content
- Review school structure to consider led practices conducted by student leaders. Samples of the sequences used in Yoga Mandir can be accessed upon request.
- Review implementation timetable for introduction of asana syllabus, philosophy content, practice notes
- Develop 4 term plans. One plan for each level from beginner through to level 3.
- Review literature and advertising to reflect changes adopted.
Attendance at Yoga Mandir Professional development program is essential whilst attending the school culture program. This includes
- 7 day attendance to consider teaching of Yogasana to a student body
- student development across all levels
- Consider development of class plans
- Handling diversity within a classroom
Ultimately the program aims to develop cohesion in a teaching body and the review and development of a syllabus to each individual school and the capacity of its teachers. This is referred to as a school culture.
The school culture program is a gateway to the Teacher trainer apprenticeship program through which suitably qualified teachers (Intermediate Junior Level 2 and above) can undergo a mentorship of 2 years participating in the Yoga Mandir preliminary teacher training program to qualify (upon achieving intermediate Junior Level 3) to train their own teachers. This pathway consolidates the School culture program and may form the basis for the training of teachers in the school.
Click here to view the School culture enrolment process
Enrolment in the School culture program is by negotiation with Yoga Mandir. If interested please contact the office to make a time to discuss the program
The cost of the program is $1000 per unit. This allows for up to 5 teachers from your school to enrol. Additional teachers are enrolled at a cost of $250 per teacher.
We note that costs for these programs are due to increase in 2019 or 2020.