At Yoga Mandir we believe that yoga is learned through a practice-based model. Our extensive online study platform, Yoga Vidya, has been purposefully designed to provide access to a variety of subjects that will immerse you deeply into the subject of yoga. Attend classes, practise with your mentor, engage in self-study and join us on the mat at Yoga Mandir.
Attend weekly in studio or virtual classes to learn the asanas (postures) and principles that underpin a practice of yoga.
Consolidate your learning through practice-based study. Expose yourself to our lineage through the completion of purposefully designed online subjects.
With knowledge gained from experience join us in the world of practice.
‘Knowledge has two facets. One is objective and the other subjective. Objective knowledge is based on speculation, thinking and analysis, whereas subjective knowledge is to verify the objective knowledge with experience. Subjective knowledge comes through practical experience and objective knowledge is earned through theoretical study. Yoga is both a practical as well as a theoretical subject … One puts this objective knowledge or the acquired knowledge into practice, so that one experiences the reality of the objective knowledge’ (BKS. Iyengar)
Over a two-year period, take a journey with us into the heart of yoga through an individualised practice-based study program.
Foundation Certificate of Yoga Studies
Over the first two terms of placement as Foundation practitioners in yogasana classes we:
- Focus on which direction to turn limbs, what to anchor and what to move in each asana.
- Use the skills of action and observation to observe the effect that Yogasana has upon us.
- Learn to use the organs of action and the senses of perception as tools to recognise that there are different layers of experience.
- Become aware of, and learn to value, our tendencies and characteristics and how our experience of practice changes if we have had a good or bad day.
Developing 1 & 2 Certificate of Yoga Studies
*Please note: there are two separate certificates covering the Developing Syllabus.
Over the next four terms of placement as Developing practitioners in yogasana classes we:
- Watch sensations across the spectrum from gross to subtle to refine the capacity to disengage the senses.
- Differentiate sensations from thoughts and emotions and detach ourselves from our habitual emotional and mental responses – so we act rather than react within our practise.
- ‘Position the mind’ in the same way we position the body and see that our practice of yogasana affects our experience of self.
- Develop a capacity for self-study to see that we can change or at lease suspend our view of ourselves.
- Become less reactive and more stable by demonstrating better application and judgement; as seen in an appropriate use of props and improved alignment.
Established Certificate of Yoga Studies
Over the last two terms of placement as Established practitioners in yogasana classes we:
- Identify ‘citta’ (consciousness) as being made up of ‘manas’ (mind), ‘ahamkara’ (I-ness) and ‘buddhi’ (intelligence).
- Examine the nature of the ‘vrttis’ (fluctuations) and ‘klesas’ (afflictions or sufferings) which affect the consciousness
- Begin to examine the interplay of ‘I-ness’ (in particular attachment to emotions and thoughts) within the practice experience and to strengthen the function of intelligence such that non-attachment becomes possible (non-attachment is a step before detachment).
- Come to understand where effort must be directed for change in citta to manifest. BKS Iyengar advises that ethical practice of asana, pranayama and pratyahara will bring an outcome of concentration (dharana).
- Develop discernment; evaluating and discerning sensation; and the relationship between action and outcomes across the spectrum of experience (physical, energetic, mental/emotional and intellectual).
- Consistently attended two classes per week and engaged in correspondence with mentor demonstrating a reflective approach to ‘good and bad days.’
- Named and practised asanas from each syllabus demonstrating intelligence and skill in understanding of repose, alignment, stability, use of props and breath.
- Established a home practise of two hours per week demonstrating an understanding of sequencing, timing and repetition through practise logs.
- Accurately maintained, records, submitted and analysed practise logs on a monthly basis.
- Identified and explored responses to practise of asana and pranayama through reflective journal/blog.
- Completed assigned Yoga Vidya subjects in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated growth and engagement in self-study two posts per term (weeks 2 & 8) to Yoga Vidya forum.
Yoga Vidya Subjects
Yoga Vidya is a learning platform that the whole school community is invited to engage with to deepen their practise. The below table outlines the term-based delivery schedule of courses that all students at Yoga Mandir are invited to engage with. Each term you will complete a practise-based philosophy and pranayama course as well at two year-long yogasana courses. The subjects have been designed as stand-alone fields of enquiry and you will commence study at the point of entry to the program. For example, if you enrol in term 3, 2022 your first Yoga Vidya course will be T-Ph03 Kriyayoga and P-01 Introducing prana. You will then complete the next seven subjects. If you are interested in completing any of the other subjects you are welcome to sign up independently.
Yoga Vidya Course schedule of delivery
T-Ph01 Iyengar and Patanjali
P-03 Ujjayi lying
T-Ph04 Twin pillars
P-02 Pranayama setups
P-01 Introducing prana
T-Ph02 Distinguishing features Iyengar
P-07 Ujjayi sitting
T-Ph17 Yoga Sutras. An Introduction.
T-Ph07 Karmandriyas jnandriyas
P-12 Anuloma pratiloma
T-Ph09 Vrttis and Klesas
T-Ph20 What is yoga?
P-08 Viloma sitting
T-Ph11 Sequence sheaths sariras
P-04 Viloma lying
T-Ph23 Conscious pause
P-10 Bhrastrika Kapalbati
T-Ph12 Conjunction dissociation
P-14 Nadi sodana
Total cost for EACH Certificate level of Yoga Studies is $1,734. This is made up in 2 parts
- Enrolment in Unit 1 on Yoga Vidya costs $1,440 and includes:
- Two terms (20 weeks) unlimited access to all Foundation, Developing, Established and Pranayama Yogasana classes offered in studio or virtually.
- Two meetings with your mentor teacher – one per term.
- Enrolment in the Saturday afternoon study group which meets monthly.
- A separate enrolment in Yoga Vidya subjects (totalling $294) allows participants to move at their own pace. This includes
- Two subjects per term @$49 each
- Two year-long subjects @$49 each
Early bird fee for Foundation Certificate (Certificate 1) payable by 30 January 2022 is $1,500
Total Cost for complete program of 4 Certificate of Yoga Studies levels is $6,740